Depending on your passport, you may be required to obtain a travel visa before entering or transiting through the USA. However, many Moose travellers are from countries that qualify for the US Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and therefore do not require a visa.  Please click here to determine if you are eligible for the VWP. Alternatively, you can check with your local American embassy. We strongly recommend checking well in advance of travelling to determine if you need a visa.

If you are eligible for the VWP, you will require an ESTA to enter or transit the USA, if arriving via air or cruise ship. At present, VWP travellers arriving into the USA via a land border crossing do not require an ESTA. However, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol strongly recommends obtaining an ESTA even if crossing via land border, as this will significantly reduce the time required to process your entry into the USA.

For more information on the ESTA program and to check current requirements, please click hereDon’t worry, it’s not a difficult process and typically takes about 20 minutes to complete! In most cases, a response is received within seconds of submitting the application.


  1. The Moose Cascadia tour from Vancouver to Seattle and Portland enters the USA via a land border, and therefore an ESTA is not currently required for those eligible for the VWP. However, we strongly recommend getting an ESTA since it will reduce the time required to process your entry into the USA.
  2. The information on this page is accurate as of June 22, 2018, but note that the US government could change their requirements at any time.  We strongly recommend that you use the links above to check current entry requirements for the USA.