Explore the heart of the Rocky Mountains with a trip through Banff and Jasper National Parks! This 3 day tour through the Canadian Rockies will take you on one of the most scenic roads in the world, the Icefields Parkway! You’ll discover amazing glacial lakes (including Lake Louise), snow-capped mountain peaks, pristine rivers, waterfalls, and wildlife everywhere you look.
Note: the Athabasca is the middle 3 days of the 8 day Caribou tour. Some of your fellow travellers will have started together in Vancouver before you join them, and some will be continuing back to Vancouver after you finish.
Looking for Summer 2020 departures? Click here!
|2021 DEPARTURE DAYS & PRICING|
|April 24 to May 31||Wednesdays, Saturdays||Low Season||from $469|
|June 01 to 30||Wednesdays, Saturdays||Mid Season||from $499|
|July 01 to August 31||Wednesdays, Saturdays||Peak Season||from $529|
|September 01 to September 30||Wednesdays, Saturdays||Mid Season||from $499|
|October 01 to October 13||Wednesdays, Saturdays||Low Season||from $469|
- 2 nights mixed gender, hostel dormitory style accommodation
- Moose Bus transportation
- Services of a professional & fun tour guide/driver
- 1 group dinner
- National Park fees
- Moose travellers also receive discounts on optional activities!
*Note: Due to uncertainty regarding longer term impacts of COVID-19 on our suppliers, 2021 itineraries and inclusions are currently subject to change.
Not Interested in Staying in Shared Hostel Dorm Accommodation?
If you prefer to stay in private rooms or in alternative accommodation, check out the non-accommodated version of this tour by clicking here.
3 days/2 nights | Departing Banff
- Explore Western Canada's wilderness stopping at stunning viewpoints along the way, and for hiking and swimming
- Tour through Banff and Jasper National Parks
- Visit Rocky Mountain landmarks such as Lake Louise and Moraine Lake (seasonal)
- Travel the Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper to see Bow Lake and the Athabasca Glacier
- See majestic waterfalls including the famous Athabasca Falls
- Enjoy the wicked nightlife and adventure activities in Banff
Our tour begins with visits to the stunning Moraine Lake (seasonal), and one of the world’s most famous lakes, Lake Louise! Then it’s onto the Icefields Parkway, to take in the jagged mountain peaks, glaciers, raging rivers, and more turquoise lakes, all the while keeping your eyes peeled for wildlife. We’ll make stops to see the Crowfoot Glacier, Bow Lake, and the impressive Mistaya Canyon, before arriving at our rustic, wilderness hostel alongside Rampart Creek. Why not take a dip in the creek, then relax in the wood-burning sauna, before enjoying a campfire under the stars tonight?
Moose Accommodation: HI Rampart Creek. This is a rustic, wilderness hostel and there are no alternative accommodation options nearby, but we think you’re going to love this truly Canadian experience!
Tick another National Park off your list today because we’re entering Jasper NP! We’ll stop to look for mountain goats at the Goats and Glaciers Viewpoint. Our next stop is at Athabasca Falls, one of the most powerful and picturesque waterfalls in the Rockies. Then it’s on to Maligne Canyon, the deepest canyon in Jasper, for a scenic hike that crosses several bridges with amazing views into the canyon. Afterwards, we’ll roll into the Jasper townsite where you’ll have the rest of the afternoon and evening free to explore on your own.
Moose Accommodation: HI Jasper
It’s another day of jaw dropping vistas along the Icefields Parkway as we make our way back south. Our main attraction today is the Columbia Icefield, the largest icefield in the Rocky Mountains at 325 square kilometres. You’ll have the chance to get up close to the Athabasca Glacier, either on a hike to the toe of the glacier, or on board a massive Ice Explorer vehicle. Our tour ends after a group dinner back in Banff.
Meal Inclusions: Dinner at Samesun Banff
Moose Accommodation: None. You will need to make your own reservations for tonight. We recommend booking at the Samesun Banff where your fellow travellers doing a longer pass will be staying.
Dates & PricesTours run from April to October each year.
Seat availability shown here is for the first leg of trip only. Please continue to the booking page for accurate seat availability.
The Athabasca tour through the heart of the Rocky Mountains offers incredible experiences for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. Go mountain biking through the alpine forests, or whitewater rafting through the gushing valleys. There are plenty of options to experience the incredible mountain vistas no matter what your activity level and budget - from hiking to soaking in mountain hot springs.
Note: Pricing below is from Summer 2019. Check back for updated pricing for 2021 tour departures.
|Ice Explorer Glacier Tour (Snowcoach)||$75||Icefields (near Jasper)|
|Wildlife Spotting||Free||Various Locations|
|Available in Banff after your tour ends:|
|White Water Rafting (incl. BBQ lunch)||From $135||Kicking Horse (near Banff)|
|Banff Gondola||from $64||Banff|
|Banff Upper Hot Springs||$8||Banff|
|Horseback Riding (1-3 hrs)||from $61||Banff|
|Helicopter Ride (12-30mins)||from $143||Banff|
|Big Canoe Tour (1.5 hrs)||$46||Banff|
|Via Ferrata (from 2.5 - 6 hrs)||from $161||Banff|
|Banff Mountain Bike Rental||from $28||Banff|
- Some activities are seasonal and weather dependent
- Many activities can only be paid for in cash
- Most activities are offered by a third party and may require specific travel insurance
- Moose can not guarantee that all activities will run on every tour
- Taxes and surcharges not included.
If you book an accommodated tour, your accommodation is included for all nights of the tour, in mixed gender, hostel dormitory rooms. The majority of our travellers book an accommodated tour because it provides the best value for your money since we receive discounts from our accommodation providers that aren't available to the general public. Please note that you can request female only dorm rooms, and this is usually possible to accommodate, but we CANNOT guarantee it. We choose hostels and backpacker properties for their budget value, as well as properties that offer great facilities while always providing a warm, friendly atmosphere. By staying in shared dorm rooms you get a chance to meet more people, hang out with other tour guests, and keep the price as low as possible. The hostel staff are often travellers too, and they're great for helping plan your time in each destination, and for giving great local recommendations on where to eat, play and party!
Note: DO NOT purchase an accommodated tour/package if you want to stay in hostel private rooms on any or multiple nights of the tour. We DO NOT offer an upgrade package from dorm rooms to private rooms. If you want private rooms, you MUST book the non-accommodated option, and then book ALL nights of accommodation yourself.
Pre and Post Tour Accommodation is NEVER Included
Regardless of whether or not you purchase an accommodated tour, you must ALWAYS book your pre and post tour nights in Banff yourself. For your convenience, we recommend staying at one of our hostel pick up locations, noting that we also drop off at these same locations.
Moose Accommodation Listings
Here is a list of the hostels we stay at on this accommodated tour.
|START > DESTINATION||HOSTEL||WEBSITE|
|Banff > Rampart Creek||HI Rampart Creek**||www.hihostels.ca|
|Rampart Creek > Jasper||HI Jasper||www.hihostels.ca|
|Jasper > Banff||N/A||*Bed not included|
**HI Rampart Creek is a rustic, wilderness hostel with no running water, and solar & propane generated power. It features a cozy fireplace, outdoor fire pit, and a wood-burning sauna! Please note there are no alternative accommodation options nearby, but we think you’re going to love this truly Canadian experience! Moose groups will stay at HI Athabasca Falls (also a rustic, wilderness hostel), instead of HI Rampart Creek, on the following dates: 16-May-2020, 23-May-2020
|ITINERARY DAY||PICK-UP TIME||PICK-UP LOCATION|
|BANFF > RAMPART CREEK|
|HI Banff||8:00am||801 Hidden Ridge Way, Banff|
|Y Mountain Lodge||8:10am||102 Spray Ave, Banff|
|SameSun Banff||8:15am||433 Banff Ave, Banff|
|RAMPART CREEK > JASPER|
|HI Rampart Creek||9:00am||Highway 93 N, Banff National Park|
|JASPER > BANFF|
|Jasper Train Station||8:15am||607 Connaught Dr, Jasper|
|New HI Jasper||8:30am||708 Sleepy Hollow Rd, Jasper|
- Bring proper clothing for the tour. The weather in Canada can be unpredictable, and changes in temperature can occur throughout the day depending on location (this is especially true in the mountains or during the spring and fall months elsewhere). Find out what else to bring on our FAQ page.
- If possible bring a credit card with you while traveling. Credit cards can be used as identification and for making deposits on rentals if needed.
- Don't forget your camera - we will guarantee that you will want to take photos of new friends, beautiful scenery and wild animals!
- Book your pre and post departure accommodation in advance. Moose tours pick up and drop off at major hostels in Banff. Not sure where to stay? Contact our office for recommendations.
- Join our Facebook travel community and hook up with you future bus mates. If you have any questions we can surely answer them there. Possibly peruse some of the pics of passengers past!
- If you have any other questions please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page or contact our office.